Podcasts To Spark Learning in the Elementary and Middle School Classroom

Saturday, September 29, 2018
Podcasts to spark learning in the elementary and middl school classroom! #character #setting #elementsofastory

I LOOOOOOOVE PODCASTS! I am seriously obsessed with podcasts and am not ashamed to work a suggestion for a podcast into a conversation with a stranger. "Oh, you like (insert topic of interest here)? Do you like podcasts? Do you know what you should listen to....". 
Seriously, I'm sure my friends and family will one day limit the amount of podcasts I'm able to recommend in one conversation. If you are doubting my love of podcasts, just know that my Valentine's gift this year was to watch the taping of the West Wing Weekly podcast. That is right I watched a taping of a podcast that discusses a show that hasn't been on the air in about 15 years. Like I said, I love podcasts:)

I have passed on my love of podcasts to my own children (or maybe shoved it down their throats)! We are constantly listening to a podcast in the car. I really think it is helping my kids (7 and 12 years old) become better listeners and has made them work their imaginations. They love to discuss them as a family and have learned a ton of information from some of them! Just to recap:
  • better listening skills
  • increased creativity and imagination
  • increased communication
  • heightened vocabulary
  • increased knowledge of the world around them
I have a growing list of student friendly podcasts to use in your class right now (scroll to the bottom of the page), but here are our favorite 3!

WITW

Wow in the World! 

Hosted by Mindy Thomas and Guy Raz from NPR, my family can't get enough of this science show. Every week they take on a current science topic while building a hilarious world with crazy characters, time machines, and sassy pigeons name Reggie. I can totally see an elementary teacher using this to fit science into their day. It would be awesome to listen during snack time or transitions between subjects.

Image result for six minutes podcast

Six Minutes

OMG! This is addictive! It is taking all my will power to only listen to it with my kids and not go ahead! This podcast is about a girl name Holiday who is found unconscious by a family. She can't remember who she is and each episode gives us a bit more information. The coolest thing is each episode is only 6 minutes long! This would be awesome to launch a class with and it would be a great study in characterization! In the chart below I say it is for 4th to 8th grade but my 2nd grader is listening to it with me and she just needs a bit of guidance.

Related image


The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel

This podcast is amazing!!! I found out about it from Haylee Harwick on over at Hello Mrs. Harwick. Catch her Instagram Stories to see how she did a class transformation to listen to this with her kiddos!
This podcast is about a young man named Mars Patel whose friends are disappearing. It has twists, turns, and suspense. I just finished listening to season two and am psyched to know season three is being released soon.  There is so much you could do with this book. It would fit wonderfully into mystery unit and would be a great way to teach prediction and setting!


Below is a list of even more podcasts for kids and the classroom. I'm adding to it all the time and if you have any suggestions, please let me know! I love to share!!
Click on the "Genre/Subject" and "Grade Span" buttons to tailor your searching. Click on the right arrow in the top and bottom right hand corners to see more podcasts. The list is best seen on a computer as opposed to a phone or a tablet. If you have trouble seeing the list you may view it better here: https://awesome-table.com/-LNbUp_4epLAssI40-76/view






If you are interested in trying any of these podcasts in your classroom and would like some resources to help lead the way, head on over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store and check out my new Podcast Listening Graphic Organizers!





Happy Listening!!!



3 comments

  1. Wow, I never thought of using podcasts in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that I stumbled across this post! I love the idea of podcasts for all types of learning. Thank you so much for compiling these educational podcasts and even organizing them by grade! I am saving this post so that I will be able to refer to it when I have my own classroom. It's really nice that some of them are short in length to be able to transition between subjects or reconvene after a chaotic time in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students are loving Six Minutes. Do you follow a set lesson plan? We are finishing our school year up with novel studies and podcasts. We are extending and refining our standards for grade 4 and preview standards for grade 5. I was just looking for a lesson plan that is already written, so I don't have to reinvent "the wheel." Thank you for sharing this podcast information and fun. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete